OPPORTUNITY: Artists wanted to paint traffic signal boxes
Urban Smart Projects is pleased to advise that the trial painted traffic signal box (TSB) project in Newcastle is now live. We would really love to have your involvement in this exciting and critical start of this project for Newcastle. Feel free to pass this email on. There are only 7 TSB sites that will be artworked this year - 3 in Mayfield and 4 in the CBD. We are keen for the approved artworks on these boxes (TSBs) to look fabulous so that we can get funding to paint the other hundred or so badly graffitied TSBs around metropolitan Newcastle.
Urban Smart Projects specialises in managing painted TSB projects see our website urbansmartprojects.com We commenced work in 2004 and have painted 2,148 TSBs as of today. Artworks are diverse and amazing, our projects are non-competitive and inclusive of all local residents regardless of age or background. Painted TSB projects prevent graffiti (& save Authorities millions of dollars by reducing required maintenance), beautify streetscapes, foster community pride and community networks, etc, etc. In 2007, I began talking to Newcastle City (then Saul Standerwick) and the RTA NSW (now RMS) about the initiative. As of 2012 NCC, RMS and Urban Smart Projects have combined and provided seed support to get this project underway. Our contact at Newcastle City is now Chris Pilley.
Whilst some of our projects provide funding for artists and mentoring of up and coming artists (for eg one in Brunswick, Melbourne funded by the VIC Dept of Justice), this Newcastle trial project is looking for voluntary input from artists. It is a starting point. Having said we cannot pay artists, we do provide public liability insurance while you are working on your TSB AND all paint and safety equipment needed to paint your approved artwork onto the TSB (couriered to a specified address).
Designs for all visible sides of the TSB need to be approved and must foster community pride, not resemble graffiti and be able to be brushed on with paint (and not sprayed on). There is a lot more info here and here and a great You Tube clip of Sirmano painting a TSB in Paddington QLD (and heaps more videos too).
Here's how to start:
1. Reserve a one of the 7 TSBs that you would like to design an artwork for....Go to the "paint a box" page of our website www.urbansmartprojects.com and zoom in over Newcastle to view the available boxes (little green boxes) on the map. You will need to register on our site by going to the "artist login" page and then you can request a box is allocated to you for 1 month (altho you can submit designs straight away if you have time). Follow the prompts on your 'dashboard' page which you will login to.
2. Submit (upload) a colour design for all visible sides of the box
3. Wait for design approval
4. Sign into the project (so you have PL insurance & copyright protection, etc) and tell us when you are available to paint the artwork
5. Courier you out an Equipment pack with paint and safety equipment
6. Paint approved artwork
7. Upload photos of your completed artwork and return the Equipment Pack and your artwork will be a feature on our home page
For more info:
P: 1300 872 022 F: 07 3041 0283